Getting a new computer, whether it’s a Windows PC or a Mac, is a stressful experience. The new kit is always great, of course, but transferring all of your programs and files from your old machine to your new one can be a pain. If you’re an iPad user, the task can be downright daunting. Most iPod users do not know how to transfer iTunes library and iPad purchases to a new computer.
Luckily, we’re here to walk you through the process one step at a time. We show you how to transfer all of your iTunes music, movies and other data and sync your iPad when you get a new Mac or Windows PC. So follow this guide if you need to transfer your iTunes library from one computer to another along with all of the purchases you made on your iPad.
Method 1 of Transferring iTunes Library & iPad Purchases to a New Computer
On your old computer:
1. First and foremost, connect your iPad to your old machine using the supplied USB cable.
2. Click on the device name in the menu on the left, then on the main tab uncheck the box next to “Automatically Sync When This iPad Is Connected“.
3. Apply the changes and sync your iPad.
Now you’ll need to physically move your music, ringtones, photos, movies and TV shows from your old computer to your new one.
On your new computer:
Do not connect your iPad to your computer yet.
1. On your new computer, open iTunes.
2. From the Store menu, click Authorize Computer.
3. Enter your user name and password, then click the Authorize button.
Now, connect your iPad to your new computer via the supplied USB cable.
1. A dialog box will appear.
2. Click the Transfer Purchases button.
3. If the dialog box does not appear, right-click on your iPad’s name in the menu on the left and choose Transfer Purchases.
That’s it! All of your purchases, including music, movies, TV shows and Apps (free and paid) will now be copied from your iPad to your new computer. You can now sync freely without worrying about losing all your data.
Method 2 of Transferring iTunes Library & iPad Purchases to a New Computer
1. Download iPad Transfer.
2. Connect your iPad to a Computer.
3. Select all your iPad files from the program to transfer.
4. Click “Start Transfer” and choose “Transfer to Disc Only“.
1. Download iPad to Mac Transfer.
2. Connect iPad to your Mac Computer.
3. Check the files you want to transfer in the file list.
4. Click the “Export” button to start transferring iPad to Computer.